Sunday, November 07, 2004

The First List

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me. Its great to hear from you. I am still endeavouring to get back to everyone, but I am slightly hindered by technology, or as I like to call it the "Third World Web. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of an email and the power goes out or something. Then I never want to bother starting over because I'm too frustrated. So have patience, I will talk to all of you soon.

My next narrative will soon be on its way. However, in the meantime, I thought I would send along my first list. Those who know me well, will know that I am quite partial to lists. This is the first one I compiled, around the time of my first mass email to all of you. Here it is:

List #1 - Things I have Learned... So Far

1. Air-Conditioning is perhaps the greatest invention known to mankind. This was heretofor unclear to me.
2. Fifty years ago, Karachi was a city of 200 000. It now stands (kind of) at 15 million. This explains a lot.
3. Lahore, (a city to the north I hope to visit soon) is said to be one of the oldest living cities in the world, but not in the same way as West Palm Beach.
4. The aforementioned air conditioner makes certain noises at night which makes me think that someone is in my room. This being something I have learned, you would think this wouldn't frighten me. But it scares the crap out of me every time.
5. The large, architectually incredible, sail shaped hotel in Dubai is the only 7 Star Hotel in the world. If only I had $7000, I would spend a night.
6. Instead of a bidet, there is a little hose-showerhead on the wall beside the toilet. This, I am told, is often called a "Muslim shower." This device also scares the crap out of me.
7. Not knowing a single element of a language makes everyday life very intimidating.
8. Not knowing a single element of a language makes you think everyone is talking about you.
9. Jet Lag is for real.
10. Cricket is not quite as hard to understand as I thought. However, one should never forget that in its purest form, it takes 5 days to play. You wouldn't want to get there, and then think, oh crap, I have somewhere to be next Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home